Wednesday 2 April 2014

Chewy MMmmy Chocolate Chip Cookies - The taste of Success

Do you remember that friend's episode where Monica spends a lifetime trying to replicate Phoebe's grandmother's cookie recipe. And batch no 26 makes Chandler barf .Hehe. I should really stop watching Friends so much , but its so warm and loving that a marathon is necessary every 2-3 months!
Anywhoo , it turns out that the recipe was the Nestle toll house chocolate chip one so guess who put it on their Bakingbucketlist * I really do have a bakingbucketlist now. It has some very interesting things on it ! *

So on a glorious Tuesday morning, this excited little girl beat and mixed and stirred and baked. This is how it went

Me: I made cookies!
Friend: What Kind?
Me: The failure kind  :(

They fell flat , spread out  and had an over airy texture. Tasted nice and buttery but you would not buy a shitty looking cookie now would you?I Renamed then crapbakes- The same flat-spreading thing had happened to my sister's chocolate chip cookies once. She said they were like traybakes, I said more like crapbakes . Ever since then it's been our running joke.

The determined thing that I am I looked around and read Quintals of tips and tricks to nail cookies. Here's what I came up with.

A Messy Cook's Tips for Success Cookies

  • Mix using a wooden spoon. An electric beater over-beats the batter making it too airy. This spoils the texture
  • Melted butter gives a chewy texture. So find a recipe with melted butter if that's what you want. My mum didn't appreciate the chewyness , so cold butter for her.
  • Use only Egg Yolks . Whites make it cakey -Unless you need macaroon or meringues , cuz they only use whites
  • A little Cornflour helps . I don't know how but it just does
  • A combination of brown sugar and white sugar's to be used. 
  • Refrigerate the dough atleast for an  hour
  • Roll the cookies vertically tall and not flattened
  • Refrigerate for 15 minutes before cooking
  • Make it with love and happiness. All food tastes better that way :)

I learnt most of this and made another batch using this recipe( 2/3rd of it actually)  and the cookies were EPICAWESOME! So I went ahead and named them success. 
Also I wasn't kidding about the Love part. Call me a hippie but 10 minutes into the recipe when the cookies were nicely round and not spreading out like pancakes, I sang I love you to them for the next 5 minutes- I kid you not.
The recipe then?

Chewy MMmmy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Preheat oven to 170C
Line a baking tray with butterpaper and grease it

Ingredients

100gm(1/2cup) Melted Butter
1/4 cup White sugar
1/2 cup Brown sugar
( Feel kinda racist discriminating between the Caucasian and Indian sugars)
2 tbsp Honey
2 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Egg Yolk ( reserve the white. If the batter is too thick then add a tablespoon but not all )
1 & 1/3 cup Flour
1 tbsp Cornflour
1 tsp baking soda

1 cup - chocolate chips/ nuts/ MnMs/ Butterscotch chips/ what else can be put in a cookie?

Method

  • Mix the butter and vanilla
  • Powder the sugars and stir in using a wooden spoon
  • Add honey, mix .Add egg yolk, mix - DO NOT OVER BEAT 
  • Sift together Flour, Cornflour and soda. Mix in batter
  • Stir in the 1 cup of culinary creativity
  • Refrigerate the dough for atleast an hour
  • Use a teaspoon to measure batter and make oval towers with your palm
  • Line these on the tray . Cookies should be spaced out * high times yaow* with about an inch between them
  • Refrigerate this for 10-15 minutes
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes -*Whisper * I love you. I love you ,. I love you . I love you so much . I love you . I  love you . I love you
Let it cool .
I just lied . Don't let it cool . Eat a big bite, burn your tongue . But thou shalt have no regrets whatsoever


No comments:

Post a Comment