Saturday 12 January 2013

Bakery Thursday: Tarts!

My mother has these little tart tins lying around since , well Forever but I was always too afraid to venture in that territory. I would just use them as makeshift cupcake tins. Until this Thursday.

I have bakery class in college every Thursday and honestly , that is the lone source of joy in my otherwise not-that-happening life(WOW that makes me sound like a crazy depressed baker girl .Well I assure you I am not crazy depressed baker girl. At least not the depressed part for sure. )

So anyway , they taught us jam tarts in bakery today and although I did not get to taste them(occupational  hazard), I did get over my fear of shortcrust pastry and  Alakazam ! Hocus pocus ! Presto! Tart time it was.

Two very old friends came over just as I put my tarts in the oven (Luck much?). So I whipped up some chocolate ganache- Literally-and poured them into my warm tart shells.

The Verdict: They loved the ganache more than the tart, while my mother( who had it 2 hours later) loved the tart more . To each his own I guess. But yeah don't serve them straight outta the oven. Let them be in the fridge for at least 15-20 minutes. Good for snacks and dessert!

IMPORTANT
    * The butter needs to be really cold and not melty.
    * Resting period is crucial . Do Not skip it.
    * Water required is not exact. the dough needs to just come together and not be pliable , because that                                      would make the pastry chewy and not flaky .
    * Leftover dough can be frozen wrapped in clingfilm . Thaw and use whenever required.

Tarts ( shortcrust pastry base)

This recipe makes 6 li'l tarts .Double ,triple quadruple or centuple it to feed your own personal armies.

Ingredients:

100 gm sifted refined flour
50 gm very cold butter( I use salted. Add a pinch of salt is using unsalted)
5-6 ml water

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 C.


  • Rub cubed butter into the flour using your fingertips to get a crumbl-y texture
  • Pat water onto hands and lightly knead until it just about comes together( don't over knead )
  • Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for an hour/ or freezer for 20 min
  • Get it out of the fridge. If dough is too tough then microwave for 10 seconds
  • Place dough between two sheets of clingfilm and roll out until its 1/8 inch thick
  • Cut using a glass or cookie cutter, and carefully set them in buttered tart tins
  • Prick the base using a fork and bake for about 20 minutes

SUGGESTIONS

- For a healthier recipe , substitute half the flour with whole what flour.
- Fill them with lemon curd, jam and cream, fruits and cream or really anything you wanna add. I bet even Buttercream works.
- Add a teaspoon of powdered sugar for a sweeter pastry.






No comments:

Post a Comment