Sunday 13 January 2013

Pie Oh My : Rustic Apple Pie

Yeah yeah, rustic is camouflage word for bad presentation - which I provide in abundance- but to be fair I am only a novice. This was my First Ever pie and boy oh boy was it a success!  Why am I talking like an Enid Blyton character? It must be all the happiness.

It started with me overcoming my fear of shortcrust pastry and going beyond the territories of baby tartlets . I have finally hit pie-burty and entered the world of full sized adult pies *Music!* And this coming of age pie was none other than the good old apple pie.




Before making anything new I spend over 3 hours on the internet. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact sources but its more or less a compilation of my research.
   
*Important*: The crust is the most important part of this pie and the toughest to make. It needs to be cold at all times-   cold butter, cold yolks, ice cold water, freeze after making , freeze after panning- cold is the word. Also I added half whole wheat flour juts go give an ounce of health. If you're too awesome to be bothered , then don't bother.

The Verdict: I have to admit it was very popular. Gobbled and vanished within a single day :O .The pie itself wasn't perfect and I'm pretty sure I have leaps and bounds to grow , but I'm totally sticking to this crust for like , Forever. .

Pie Crust

This recipe makes 3 pies .Divide it accordingly

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups refined flour
200 gm COLD butter
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup cold water

*For EGGLESS Pie use my Basic Shortcrust Recipe doubled*


Method:

  • Sift the flour
  • Process butter and flour in food processor to attain bread crumb like texture
  • Mix water and egg yolks. Pour in dough and process until just mixed 
  • Place on floured surface and lightly knead
  • Divide the dough in 3 equal parts , wrap in clingfilm and dump in freezer to hibernate
  • To use , microwave on high for 15 seconds. 

Before I could bring a camera and take a picture , It vanished

Apple Pie

Preheat oven to 200 C.
Grease a pie dish , or any shallow ceramic or glass dish.

Ingredients:

1/3 of above mentioned pie crust ( or 2/3 if you want a covered pie. I didn't)
3 large apples- peeled, cored and chopped
1 large stick of cinnamon
1 orange( Can be substituted with a lemon)
Tiny piece of nutmeg
1/4 cup brown sugar(or regular sugar. I'm just acting fancy)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour

Method:

  • Roll out pie crust between two sheets of cling film. Keep bringing the edges together when crack, don't worry . It'll all be fi-h-ne.
  • Remove one side of clingfilm and holding the crust on the clinged side upturn onto pie dish.Using knuckles gently ease it into the dish . when set, remove the upper cling film.Chill in fridge for 20 minutes.
  • Poke base with a fork or knife.
  •  Put some parchment paper on the crust and fill it with pulses or nuts( I did not do this step because I was lazy. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT be lazy )
  • Bake pie crust in the oven for 20 minutes
  • Juice and zest the oranges. Place apples in this
  • In a blender blitz sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and flour. Sprinkle over apples
  • In a pan melt the butter. Add honey and the apples. Saute for a few minutes
  • Place filling in pie crust and bake for 40-50 minutes at 180 C.

Let the pie rest for about an hour. Serve it warm with ice-cream.Or not

No comments:

Post a Comment